Friday, December 28, 2012

Kona, Hawaii - Voyage in the Mayonnaise

November 14, 2012
Kona, Hawaii
This morning Kandi and I had breakfast in the Cadillac Diner then got ready to go on our "Voyage in the mayonaise" Kona was the only port we were tendered off and on the boat. The Lifeboats were used for this purpose.



There were 5 mini vans rented and we separated into groups. each driver had a communicator who sent text messages to the other drivers. i was in Corlan's Van with Denise and Linda as well as Jaron (Corlan's son). 

Each van was tasked with a challenge. Ours was the letter "O" the colour orange and the number 3. 



We headed south and stopped at a Pahoehoe beach.




Next we stopped at the St. Peters by the Sea Catholic Church. Our challenge here was to capture the church with one photo.

We went farther south and ended up at the Pu'uhonua O Honaunau National Historic Park.

We didn't have much time there, but we got to see a monk seal (1 of only 5 on the islands), 


some black crabs and three turtles. 



Then we drove back towards town and most of us had lunch at McDonalds since we didn't have a whole lot of time. 
 Poinsettia's grew as tall tree/bushes beside the road.
 They spelled my name wrong.
 The terrain changed from lush to lava.

We then headed north to a beach. Some swam and others just took photos.





We had to keep an eye on our time as we had to be on our boat by 5pm. We made it back to port around 4:15 enough time for a few to shop before leaving the island.



I really needed a shower so I did that while Kandi went to see if anyone wanted to join us for dinner. It was just before sunset so I grabbed my camera and went up to the 13th deck where our scrapbook room is located. I got there just in time to get some great shots and for Allison to get one of me. 



After photos Kandi and I went for dinner in the Liberty Dining room. I had the prime rib dinner. It was good and yes I ate my green beans too.



After dinner we went to the scrapbooking room to do some work, but I was getting tired and decided to go back to our cabin to write my journal entry and finish watching my movie. I then turned the light out and went to sleep.

No comments: