Tuesday, October 11, 2016

European Vacation - October 9 thru 10 - Billund to home.

Oct 9
Walk to Billund Airport, have a quick breakfast.
Catch bus to Vijle
Catch train to Copenhagen. Sat in the silent area, which means no talking, even as a whisper.

Get off train in Copenhagen, find the Metro train to drop use off near hotel. Find hotel (it was hiding) up three flights of stairs. Check in.

Check out room and shared WC(water closet) and shower area. The toilet area is tiny. 
Our room is clean and hot. Open up that window! We noticed on our whole trip that none of the windows had bug screens on them.

Go find a place to eat. There's a market across the street. One place smelled like Rosemary. We had to eat there. It was a delicious lunch. We then went for a long walk through a trendy/tourist area and found our way back towards our hotel. We picked us some snacks (for dinner) at a local grocery store and then went back to our room. We are chilling the refrigerated stuff on the window sill. It's cold enough outside.

Oct 10, one very long day. It will last for 32 hours for us due to our route and time zones.

We relaxed had our snacks set our alarms and went to bed early so that we could get up at 4:45am to shower and catch the train to the airport. We arrived at the airport, checked in and got our boarding passes, had a snack for breakfast, went to our gate to wait to board the plane.

Boarded the plane. Had oatmeal for breakfast.  Michaelea watched Monsters U and Jon watched the first Harry Potter movie. two time zones later, we Landed safely in Keflavik and deplaned.

Exchanged the Swiss Franks we had left into Icelandic Kroner. We then got our tickets for the Fly bus and headed into Reykjavik for the day. 
First we went to the hot dog stand and got a hot dog each and shared a coke. 
We then walked around a bit and passed a convenience store and went in to get some Skyr. Michaelea had vanilla with shaved chocolate and Jon had pear. 

We then walked around some more, had another hot dog each and went to Harpa the music conservatory. The building is beautiful and it's right on the waterfront.  We then headed back to the Raddison where the fly bus would pick us up. We had a good conversation with a couple from New York. They were really nice.

We caught the fly bus back to the BSI depot, picked up our stashed luggage and then tried to board the airport bus. It was full so we waited for the next one. All the buses are supposed to have wifi, but this one didn't. We made a couple of stops along the way back to the airport.

Got through security in about 15 minutes and when we went through Passport control we were able to walk right up to the counter, unlike the US travellers who were in a long line.

We got to our gate and Jon went and picked us up our last taste of Skyr for about two years.

 Jon's friend Kim met us at the gate and they reminisced about the old days in Dawson. We boarded a bus that took us to our plane, which was parked on the tarmac. We were able to board from both ends of the plane.

Fairly uneventful flight.
Easy off the plane and through customs with just our back packs. We got outside and caught the bus to our parking lot. After brushing off the car and warming it up, we hit the road. 

We stopped at Carl's Jr to have a burger and fries. We hit the road again and stopped in at Safeway to get a few groceries. We arrived home around 9:15pm, safe and sound and very tired.

No comments: